We all long to be free. Kids at school squirm and watch the clock, itching for the 3:30 bell to ring finally, so they can be free to run, jump, and ride their bikes home. Tired mothers dream of freedom from diaper duty. Stressed business executives look forward to the freedom that comes with a vacation. Oppressed people strive to be free from tyranny.
Locked inside each human heart is a yearning to be free. Freedom eludes us. It’s just around the corner. Something we long for, but can’t quite attain.
The Gospel brings good news: We’ve already been set free. That’s something to celebrate.
Here are 10 freedoms that we can celebrate today.
1. Jesus came to set us free from sin and addiction.
2. We’re free from condemnation, judgment, criticism, and fears of “what will they think?”
3. We’re free to be the people God created us to be.
4. We’re free to be transformed into His image.
5. We’re free to let go of sin and be filled with Holy Spirit power.
6. We’re free to let go of bitterness and choose to forgivene.
7. We’re free to love and serve others without expectations of what they’ll do for us.
8. We’re free to change our expectations when our day doesn’t go as we planned.
9. We’re free to embrace grace when we fail.
10. Jesus set us free from death. It has no power over us. Heaven is our surest hope.
Remembering my freedoms in Christ gives me hope for transformation. I want God to have free reign in my heart. I’m free to let go of criticizing and judging others. I’m free to leave off complaining and embrace gratitude instead. I’m free to let go of the need to be in control. I’m free to be transformed as I let God be in control.
I’m taking a minute to stop and let the truth of my freedom in Christ sink in. I have reasons to celebrate!
Now it’s your turn: What does the word “free” mean to you?